- Professor,Centre for Management in Agriculture (CMA), IIM, Ahmedabad
- Chairperson, Centre for Management in Agriculture (CMA) since June 15, 2016
- Chairperson, Centre for Management in Agriculture (CMA), IIM Ahmedabad since March 25, 2012
- Visiting Fellow at the Asia Research Centre, Copenhagen Business School, Copenhagen, Denmark during April-May, 2014.
- Professor and Head, Agril. Eco. Res. Unit, Institute of Economic Growth (IEG), Delhi during 2011-12 for an year.
- Selected NABARD Chair Professor under the NABARD Chair Professorship Scheme in 2010.
- Visiting Fellow at the Institute of Development Studies (IDS) Sussex, at Brighton (UK'), 1999.
- ASIA Fellow of the Asian Scholarship Foundation, (ASF) Bangkok of the International Institute of Education (IIE), Washington, 2002.
- Visiting Fellow, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok (Thailand). 2002.
- ESRC-ICSSR Exchange Scholar at the University of Manchester, UK. 2010.
- Selected for a 3-month Visiting Fellowship at Indian Institute of Advanced Study (IIAS) Shimla in 2010 and 2011.
- Founding Editor, Millennial Asia- an intl. journal of Asian Studies (of the Association of Asia Scholars (ASS) published by Sage, New Delhi since 2009.
- Member, editorial board, Food Chain, published by Practical Action, UK since 2014.
- Member of the editorial review board of the Journal of Agribusiness in the developing and emerging economies, Emerald publishing, since 2012.
- Member, Editorial Board, Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics, of the ISAE, for 2014, 2015 and 2016.
Academic and Policy body mebmerships and contirbutions:
- Member of the Academic Committee of the National Institute of Agricultural Marketing (NIAM) Jaipur since Aug 2015.
- Member, Research Advisory Committee of the National Innovation Foundation (NIF) of DST, GoI, since October, 2015.
- Member, Academic Council of the Institute of Economic Growth, Delhi during 2011-12.
- Member, Research Programme Committee of the Indian Society of Agricultural Economics, Mumbai for 2010 and 2011.
- Member, Executive Committee of the Indian Society of Agricultural Marketing (ISAM) for 2004 and 2005 and 2009 and 2010.
- Vice-President, Indian Society of Agricultural Marketing (ISAM), 2010-2012.
- Member of the Expert Committee for Post graduate Diploma in Agricultural Law, School of Law, IGNOU, New Delhi, 2008.
- Invited/Selected as one of the Lead Authors of the International Assessment of Agricultural Science and Technology for Development (IAASTD) of the World Bank, for the East and South Asia and the Pacific (ESAP) region, 2006-07 and participated in the ESAP region meetings at Penang (Malaysia), Bangkok (Thailand), and Cape Town (South Africa) to write chapter 3 on trade and development during 2006-2007.
- Member of the Expert Group on Sustainable Development Goals Vision 2030 Document for the state of Punjab, 2016
- Member of the standing committee of the Chhatisgarh State Planning Commission for framing agricultural development policy for three years and heading a working group on agricultural marketing policy, since July 2015.
- Invited by the Andhra Pradesh Commission on Inclusive and Sustainable Agriculture to write a background paper on role and strategy for producer companies in Andhra Pradesh ad presented the paper before the drafting committee of the Commission, since May 2015.
- Member, Advisory Committee, Drip Plus project of C&A Foundation being implemented by AKRSP(I) in Cotton in Gujarat since 2015.
- Invited by Government of Karnataka's Department of Horticulture to address their officers (80) on organisation and promotion of producer companies in the state on June 25, 2015.
- Expert Member of the Search-cum-Selection Committee to appoint Director-General of the National Institute of Agricultural Marketing (NIAM), Jaipur, 2014.
- Nominated member of the Executive Committee for Mission on Integrated Development of Horticulture (MIDH) as marketing expert for three years beginning March, 2014.
- Invited to speak as an Expert on "Making contract farming and private markets work" at the 8th meeting of the State Agril. Ministers' Committee on Agri marketing reforms at Tirupathi, AP on Nov. 30, 2012.
- Member, Working Group on agril. marketing infrastructure, of the Planning Commission for the 12th plan, 2011.
- Member, Working Group on Disadvantaged farmers including women, of the Planning Commission for the 12th Plan, 2011.
- Member, Expert committee on organic food regulation in India, of the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI), GoI, 2010.
- Member of the Technical Advisory Committee for Secondary Agriculture, an international committee of the Planning Commission, GoI, 2007.
- Member of the Working Group on Agricultural Marketing Infrastructure and Policy for the 11th 5-year Plan of the Planning Commission, and worked as convenor of subgroup on marketing systems, arrangements, and institutions including contract farming.
- Member of the Working Group on Marketing Reforms, Contract Farming, and Agro Processing Sector under the Sub-Committee of the National Development Council (NDC) on Agriculture and related issues chaired by then Chief Minister, Punjab, as a member and wrote the Policy Discussion Paper on Contract Farming in India, 2006.
Worked with the Institute of Rural Management(IRMA), Anand for more than a decade as faculty.
Was Founding member of the Governing Body of an NGO- PROGRESS (Society for Promotion of Grass Root Environment and Social Action), Banswara (Rajasthan) for 5 years (1998-2003).
President, Satvik- Promoting Ecological Farming, a society under the Societies Act, since 2007 (Previously, Member, Steering Committee, Organic Project of the Kachchh Sajivkheti Manch (KSM), Bhuj (converted into Satvik from 2007) since 2007.
Member, Board of Directors, SAVE (Saline Area Vitalisation Enterprise), a public limited company for small and marginal producers since 2007.
Member, Board of Directors (advisor), Coastal Salinity Prevention Cell (CSPC), Ahmedabad- a section 25 company set up by Sir Ratan Tata Trust (SRTT), Mumbai, Ambuja Cement Foundation (ACF), AKRSP (India), and Salinity Ingress Prevention Cell (SIPC), GoG, since Sept., 2009.
Member, 4th Grand Jury for Sankalp Awards in agriculture, food and rural business,organized by Intellcap, Mumbai on April 11, 2012.
Life member of ISAE,ISAM,IEA,and ISLE.