- Varma, P (2017) Rice Productivity and Food Security in India: A Study of the System of Rice Intensification. Springer Singapore.
Recent Peer Reviewed Journal Publications
- Varma, P. Understanding the Adoption of Multiple Practices of System of Rice Intensification in India. Applied Economics (Revise and Resubmit) .
- Varma, P. (2017). Adoption of System of Rice Intensification under Information Constraints: An Analysis for India. The Journal of Development Studies, 1-19.
- Issar, A., Varma, P. (2016) Are Indian Rice Exporters Able to Price Discriminate? Empirical Evidence for Basmati and Non-Basmati Rice, Applied Economics, 48(60), 5897-5908.
- Varma, P., Issar, A. (2015) Pricing to Market Behaviour of India's High Value Agri-Food Exporters: An Empirical Analysis of Major Destination Markets, Agricultural Economics, 47 (1): 129-137.
- Varma, P. (2015), An Analysis of Country Specific Determinants of Horizontal and Vertical Intra-Industry Trade in the Food Processing Sector of India, International Journal of Trade and Global Markets, 8(4).
- Gupta, A., Varma, P. (2015). Impact of Futures Trading on Spot Markets- An Empirical Analysis of Rubber in India,Eastern Economic Journal, 1-14.
- Ramakrishnan, A., Varma, P. (2014). Do Free Trade Agreements Promote Intra-Industry Trade?- An Analysis for India and its FTAs, (with Anjali Ramkrishnan), International Journal of Trade and Global Markets, 7(2): 129-144
- Varma, P. Ramakrishnana, A. (2014). An Analysis of the Structure and Determinants of Intra-Industry Trade in Agri-Food Products:Case of India and Selected FTAs, Millenial Asia, Published by Sage, 5(2): 179-196.
Other Peer Reviewed Journal Publications
- Choudhary, S., Kallummal, M., Varma, P. 2013. Trade Creation and Trade Diversion in the India-Sri-Lanka Free Trade Agreement: A Sector Specific Analysis, Journal of Economic Policy and Research , Volume 8, No. 1.
- Varma, P. 2013. Doha Sectoral Negotiations: A Study on Healthcare Sector in India", Foreign Trade Review, Quarterly Journal of Indian Institute of Foreign Trade by Sage Publications, 48(3): 399-411
- Kallummal, M., Gupta, A., Varma, P. 2013. South Asian Exports of Agricultural Products to European Union and the Role of SPS Standards related to Border Restrictions: An Analysis of the RASFF (with Murali Kallummal and Aditi Gupta),Journal of Economic Policy and Research, Vol. 8, No. 2 .
- Varma, P. 2013. India's Marginal Intra-Industry Trade in Selected Agricultural and Processed food Products: The likely implications on Adjustment Costs and Food Security, Journal of Resources, Energy and Development (Vol. 10, March)
- Varma, P. 2012. An Analysis of India's Bilateral Intra Industry Trade in Agricultural Products, International Journal of Economics and Business Research (IJEBR), Vol. 4, Nos. 1/2.
- Varma, P. (2017). Patidar Exports Private Limited. Co-authored with Sanjay Kumar Jena. IIMA/CMA0819.
Chapters in Book
- Varma, P. (2016). India and EU Trade in Chemical Sector: Evidence on Pollution Haven Hypothesis. Co-authored with Prerna Prabhakar, Murali Kallummal. In Contemporary Issues in Trade, Environment and Policy. Edited by Ananya Ghosh Dastidar and Yamini Gupt. Pp.71-88. Ane Books Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi.
- Varma, P. 2004. Trade Reforms and the Commodity Prices in Kerala: A study of Rubber and Coconut, in Kerala's Economic Development, Sage, New Delhi.
- Intra-Industry Trade and Labour Market Adjustment: Indian Manufacturing Sector. 4th Apr-2017. IIMA Working Paper No.: WP.No.2017-04-01. A Joint Paper with Akash Issar.
- India's Horticulture Sector – A Port-Level Analysis of Onion Export Pricing. 10th March, 2017. IIMA Working Paper No.: WP2017-03-01. A Joint Paper with Akash Issar.
- Adoption of Natural Resource Management Technologies under Information Constraints: The Case of System of Rice Intensification (SRI) in India. 3rd March, 2017. IIMA Working Paper No.: WP2017-02-04.
- Adoption of System of Rice Intensification and its Impact on Rice Yields and Household Income: An Analysis for India. 2nd March, 2017. IIMA Working Paper No.: WP2017-02-03.
Papers under Review
- Adoption and the Impact of System of Rice Intensification on Rice Yields and Household Income: An Analysis for India, Empirical Economics.
- Pricing to Market in India's Horticultural Sector - A Port-Level Analysis of Onion Market. The Journal of Policy Modelling. A Joint Paper with Akash Issar.
Papers Presented in national and International conferences
- Agricultural Technology Adoption under Multiple Constraints: An Analysis of System of Rice Intensification (SRI) in India. In 2016 Annual Meeting, July 31-August 2, 2016, Boston, Massachusetts (No. 235806). Agricultural and Applied Economics Association. http://purl.umn.edu/235806.
- Price Discrimination and Pricing to Market Behaviour of Indian Rice Exporters: Empirical Evidence for Basmati and Non-Basmati Rice. IIMA Research Seminar, 11th March, 2015 at Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad. A joint paper with Akash Issar.
- Intra‐Industry Trade and the Likely Labor Market Adjustment in SAFTA‐Exploring the Reasons for poor Intra‐Regional and Intra‐Industry Trade. At the 13th Annual SANEI Conference, 31st August 2014, Dhaka, Bangladesh. A joint paper with Anjali Ramakrishnan.
- An Analysis of the Structure and Determinants of Intra-Industry Trade in Agri-food Products – The case of SAFTA. At the Association of Asia Scholars' Conference on Political Economy of Economic Cooperation among Asian Countries, Centre for Development Economics and Innovation Studies and Planning Commission Chair, Punjabi University, Patiala. February 8, 2014. A joint paper with Anjali Ramkrishnan.
- Doha Sectoral Negotiations: A Study of Healthcare Sector in India. At the 3rd Conference on Empirical Issues in International Trade & Finance that was held at Science City, Kolkata on January 10th & 11th, 2013. A joint paper with Rajat Verma and Murali Kallummal
- Impact of Futures Trading on Spot Markets-An Empirical Analysis for Indian Rubber. At the 8th conference of Asia Pacific Association of Derivatives, Busan, Korea, 23-24 August 2012. A joint paper with Akanksha Gupta.
- US and EU agricultural Support Policies: Its Reality and Consequences. At the Young Scholars' Seminar, Centre for Economic Studies and Planning, March 14-15, 2010 Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
- US Agriculture under WTO-A Critical Evaluation. At the Department of Economics, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, US, 11th December 2007.
- The US Domestic Support and Its likely Implications for Developing Countries. At the 6th European Trade Study Group (ETSG) Annual Conference in University of Vienna, AUSTRIA on September, 7-9, 2006. www.etsg.org/ETSG2006/papers/Varma.pdf
- Rethinking the role of Domestic Support in Distorting Trade. At the Fifth GEP Post-Graduate Conference, organized by Leverhulme Centre for Globalisation and Economic Policy, the University of Nottingham, UK on 21-22 April 2006.
- Country Specific Determinants of Horizontal and Vertical Intra- Industry Trade in Portugal. At the 5th GEP Post-Graduate Conference, organized by Leverhulme Centre for Globalisation and Economic Policy, the University of Nottingham, UK on 21-22 April, 2006. Discussant of poster presentation by Nuno Carlos Leitao.