Financial Markets play an important role in the Indian economy. Study and analysis of Financial Markets require high quality data, research, and insights to engage in the debate and influence policy makers, institutions, and other stakeholders. In this context, "Misra Centre for Financial Markets and Economy", set up at IIMA, is a Centre of excellence, conducting research on the Financial Markets and Economy in India. This Centre is expected to provide impetus for focused research and teaching related to financial markets within the overall economic framework. The vision of the Centre is to bring together the infrastructure that would allow the IIMA faculty to have access to the similar technologies and other resources that the market participants have; though not necessarily at the same level or scale.
The Centre will support the following four pillars of excellence -
- Applied Research - Undertake practical and executable research on Financial Markets and Economy (in Indian context with global markets as the reference/benchmark) that would address issues related to formulation of policy, market structure/regulations including central banks' mandate, monetary policy, fiscal developments, microstructure including commodities, banking, bond markets, SME Financing, financial inclusion, insurance, etc. This is to facilitate wider scope for research by Faculty and the Doctoral students working at the intersection of finance and economics. Centre may procure global financial data available with other agencies.
- Knowledge - Build quality data, analytics, and insightful knowledge on the Indian Financial Markets and Economy.
- Engagement – Engage with relevant stakeholders who influence policies as well as those who are significantly affected by policies
- Training – Develop business case studies for the current and future industry leaders (students)
The activities of the Centre shall consist of:
- Research – The Centre will produce high quality research.
- Disseminate research – Will widely disseminate research reports/findings to policy makers, media, analysts, other key stake holders including academics through a variety of channels viz. media outreach, participation in conferences, roundtable discussions, authored articles, etc.
- Engagement – engage with government and policy makers about the new developments in the Financial Systems including the impact of the Economy/Financial Markets turbulence & changes among India's major trading partners. The Centre may invite visitors (Faculty, PhD students, Fellows/Scholars) from Universities in India and abroad to come to IIMA Centre for collaborative research and publishing papers in the reputed journals.
- Development – Develop case studies on Financial Markets and Economy.
- Other collaborations – Build relationships with other leading management institutions for collaborative research on Financial Markets and Economy
- An annual Financial Markets and Economy report - This report will be expected to become the invaluable source of information about Indian Financial Markets and Economy. The Centre will enjoy total academic freedom in the authorship of this report that is aligned with the overall vision and objectives for which the Centre is being established.
- Debates/Workshops/Seminars: Centre is expected to organize regularly the debates/workshops/ seminars with media participation on the key issues facing the Economy and the Financial Markets
- Publication and dissemination of data: The Centre will build quality data, analytics, and insightful knowledge on the Indian Financial Markets and Economy.
- Director: Prof. Errol D'Souza
- Chairperson: Prof. Abhiman Das
- Faculty representatives from IIMA: Prof. Ajay Pandey
- A representative of the donor: Mr. Peeyush Misra
- Prof. Ajay Pandey
- Prof. Abhiman Das (Chair)
- Prof. Anindya Chakrabarti
- Prof. Naman Desai
- Prof. Joshy Jacob
- Prof. Sanket Mohapatra
Members of the Centre
- Prof. Anindya Chakrabarti (Economics)
- Prof. Abhiman Das (Economics)
- Prof. Naman Desai (Finance and Accounting)
- Prof. Joshy Jacob (Finance and Accounting)
- Prof. Sanket Mohapatra (Economics)
- Prof. Ajay Pandey (Finance and Accounting)
- Prof. M P Ram Mohan (Business Policy)
- Prof. Jeevant Rampal (Economics)
- Prof. Pranav Singh (Finance and Accounting)
- Prof. Sobhesh Kumar Agarwalla (Finance and Accounting)
- Prof. Poornima Varma (Center for Management in Agriculture)
- Prof. Prashant Das (Finance and Accounting)
- Prof. Ramanathan Subramaniam (Marketing)
- Prof. Adrija Majumdar (Information System)
- Prof. Anirban Banerjee (Finance and Accounting)
Members are collaborating with the following researchers:
- Arnab Chakrabarti, Research Associate (email@example.com)
- Gaurang Singh, Data Scientist (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Gaurav Kumar Singh (email@example.com)
- Abhinav Sharma, PhD Student, Finance and Accounting (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Avijit Bansal, PhD Student, Finance and Accounting (email@example.com)
- Pranjal Srivastava, PhD Student, Finance and Accounting (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Siddharth Mahendra Purohit, PhD Student, Finance and Accounting (email@example.com)
- Abinash Mishra, PhD Student, Economics (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Dhruv Goel, PhD Student, Economics (email@example.com)
- Amrita Roy, PhD Student, Economics (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Sumit Saurav, PhD Student, Finance and Accounting (email@example.com)